This week’s class is all about the spine. Our central support for all other bones and muscles that is essential to all movement.
There are 5 major movements that the spine makes:
- Flexion, rounds the spine forward
- Extension, rounds the spine back
- Rotation, twists the spine
- Side bending/Lateral flexion of the spine
- Axial extension, decompresses and vertically elongates the spine
During a yoga class we usually practice all of these five movements. Unloading the spine through axial extension is what makes us often feel particularly good.
In daily life we tend to forget to take our spine through its full range of movements, the spine as a result gets stiffer and loses its fluidity.
A stiff or misaligned spine also has an effect on areas way beyond the spine.
Chiropractors and osteopaths even claim the health of the spine has an effect on the health of your organs since there are nerve endings or fascia that connect everything together.
see you on the mat 🧘♀️