Happy Sunday Everyone!!
Sunday! The day where everyone wakes up late, makes a killer breakfast, and does no work…yeah right! I often wonder that if God rested on a Sunday, why can’t I? Probably because there’s a loud high-pitched hum in my flat and it’s not letting me sleep, and totally ignoring the fact that I'm a borderline workaholic.
I’ve been thinking a lot about mindsets this week and to date, I’ve not really recognised or even acknowledged the difference it can make. Stories have two sides, and if that’s enough to build a case upon, why don’t we always look on the bright side?
Being a writer can be tough: from the mentally taxing process of perpetually pitching, to the critical feedback on our skill - something we’ve spent decades trying to perfect - I’ve always struggled to maintain that positivity with my craft. Not because I’m not a positive person, I am, more so because negative feedback can be so overpowering.
You don’t need to look too far to see how the media, or feedback can effect our thinking (here for example) but at the same time, a balanced discussion requires both sides of the argument. At times though, the other side can be the pain point - it’s the trigger.
Everything is a balance and like most things, feedback requires patience. Patience to acknowledge, patience to digest, patience to repeat the mistake, patience to get better, patience to make the mistake again, and patience to get the killer opportunity. Keep the door open to failure and as long as you’re patient, you’ll get there.
Now that's a positive mindset.
Useful: Writing and Opportunity Database
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Email ~ Website ~ Medium
Note: We’re still recruiting people to take a survey for The 2021, Freelance Writers Year in Review! If you haven’t completed it, please fill in the following survey! 3 people who complete the survey will win $50 each!
The following are affiliate links, so TWJN gets paid per click on the following, but we've only put forward links that we think are useful! Sign up for them and improve your life!
- Wynter: Participate in research 10-15 min surveys, get paid for your feedback. Up to $90-$200/hr. Learn More
- Lloyd’s career coaching app keeps you accountable to your career goals by giving you friendly, expert guidance, helping you achieve them in record time.
(£3000) The Bath Children’s Novel Award 2021 (Deadline: 30th November 2021)
(£2000) Mslexia Women’s Poetry Competition 2021 (Deadline: 6th December 2021)
($10,000) Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Competition (Deadline 17th December 2021)
($2,000) The Society of Classical Poets 2022 Poetry Competition (Deadline: 31st December 2021)
Remote Writing Jobs
I try to ensure all the positions are well-paid, and if not, they’re helpful in some other way. Our readership varies from new writers to established writers, so some jobs are better for others. Either way, if you have any questions, get in touch with me or the employer, see how you can help, and grow your network! I try to only show remote jobs, but sometimes allow odd interesting jobs to pass through.
Fully Remote Writing Jobs
- ($102k per year!): Column is looking to hire a full-time Content Marketing Lead to join their Growth & Partnerships team.
- ($65,000 Per Year): TexasTribune are looking for a newsletter writer
- ($1,500 per month): PodReacher is looking for skilled writers to write notes and articles for podcast shows based on webinars, podcast episodes, videos, and other forms of recorded content.
- ($3,100 per month): KLIM Technologies is looking for a Marketing Director to act as a multiplier for their business.
- GoSkills is looking for a motivated and savvy Content Editor to develop engaging, high-converting content for the audience of learners and training professionals.
- (US based writers): Simily is looking for fiction writers to join the team.
- Creative Force is looking for a Product Marketing Manager to own the communication of product innovations to our clients and markets.
- Silverline requires a content writer - looking for someone who understands how effective content can support a larger marketing strategy and who can collaborate with multiple roles across Silverline to bring content to life.
- StartUp Health is hiring a Marketing and Social Media Coordinator to help grow and increase engagement for the media platform, including social channels, our blog, and multiple newsletters broadcasting health progress stories from our 250+ active companies. portfolio, collectively reaching more than 250,000 industry stakeholders.
- The writer, HEOR works as part of a multidisciplinary team (including medical, editorial and account staff) to produce writing projects focused on RWE and HEOR for assigned accounts.
- MEDFAR Clinical Solutions is looking for a Full-Time content writer to be involved with creating print and digital content.
- The Economist looking for a freelance content writer
Social Media Calls
($0.5-$1 per word) @voxdotcom is looking for science stories about wellness
(£350 for 1,100 words): Fabulous Magazine is looking for strong real life story pitches. Exclusive stories that haven’t been featured in national magazines.
($100 per article): @Givemeastoria are looking for pitches for their January issue - covering all things news, food and sings to do in the local Queens (NYC) area.
($500-$1000): Oregon Humanities Magazine are looking for stories about responsibility, custody, attention, affection, worry, and grief.
(30-70p per word): @editortargett needs freelance editorial input from writers experience in b2b tech/enterprise IT
(£100-£175): novaramedia are looking for a commission opinion, analysis and reporting on the #goldstrike as well as #ucustrikesback actions taking place at universities across the UK
($70) Cleveland Review of Books is writers for a single-title review or essay around 1000 words. Pay more for more in-depth pieces.
(~25p per word) Mens Health UK are looking for pitches for Christmas/New Year!
(Paid): @danideahl is looking for writers to produce profiles on notable riseng producers, engineers, songwriters etc.
(Paid): parents.com are looking for reported stories on everything and (almost) anything at the intersection of blackness and parenting.
(Paid): @MahirZeynalov from GlobePostMedia is looking for freelance/full-time content writers/editors
(Paid): Top Indie Hacker Nick Freiling is looking for writers for a new project.
(Paid): @massivecinema are still commissioning for some free spots before Christmas
We’re writers ourselves and know how difficult it can be to find well paid, honest work and at times, you do feel like you’re banging your head against a brick-wall. We’ve tried our best to help, so please let us know how we can help!Hope you have a great week and we’ll speak to you soon!
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Email ~ Website ~ Medium